Tag Archive: tron legacy cosplay


This is the third disc modification I’ve done and it was quite a bit of work.It follows on from the previous modifications I’ve done to the disc which allowed for continuous lighting with a 9V battery.

You’ll need:

about 25 LEDs (3.2V, 20mA) (get more because you’ll burn out a few of them while building)

10 resistors (130 Ohms)

solder

electrical wire

I connected 3 LEDs to a resistor in series, and then connected 6 sets of those in parallel. If you don’t know electronics, don’t try this.

If you’ve done it right you’ll have 2 wires running in concentric circles. For me, the negative was on the inside track and the positive on the outside.

photo 1 photo 2 photo 4 photo 5

I also wanted this disc to be white and not blue. For that you need to remove the blue plastic wheel around the disc and also the inner “C” ring. Do that by pushing it out from the inside with a screwdriver tip. For the new rim and C ring get some clear plastic PVC tubing from eBay and just glue it in place. I also used snow spray on the inside of the tube to help disperse the light from the LEDs. It would also help to paint the inside of the C ring with white acrylic paint.

After that, connect both circuits up and tape them into each side of the disc. I inserted a switch in there too but didn’t have time to connect it.

photo 1 photo 2 photo 3 photo 4 photo 5photo 1photo 3photo 2photo 4photo 5

After spending a lot of time testing various materials of different thickness, I’ve decided to use a pure cotton base layer for the hexagonal print, and neoprene ‘panels’ for the armour. To get that tight look seen in the Tron Legacy film we’ll have to sew the foam to the underlayer. I bought 3mm thick black neoprene foam from eBay. It’s soft enough to sew and thick enough to hold electronic components without warping too much. I’d say the tight-fitted look is what separates the top 10% of Tron costumes out there from the rest of them which tend to use motorcycle clothing or leather jackets.

I used a company called Woven Monkey to print out 2 metres of the hexagonal print design. They’re a great company and I strongly recommend them.

And to get that tight-fitted look we have to sew the neoprene to the cotton. I’ve done a couple of test stitches and it seems strong. I’ve also tried bevelling the edge of the neoprene and that doesn’t work.

photo 5photo 1

I then began making the vest. I cut a waistcoat-shaped piece of neoprene out and draped it over my shoulders. There’s no easy way to do this but you basically have to try it on, take it off, trim it some more, and repeat that until you’re satisfied with the shape. I also attached a zip to the front in order to simulate the tight fit.

photo 2photo 3photo 4

The back of the vest should have ‘wings’ which wrap around your middle and connect with the chest panel at the front. I’ve been using Loctite superglue for these parts and reinforcing with stitching.

After that you’re ready to start creating parts of the underlayer. Again this isn’t easy. Start with the armpit/rib cage area. Try the vest on over a tight-fitting black t-shirt and mark out the area the vest exposes in chalk. Add an extra inch or two before cutting out the cotton panels as you’ll need these for hems.

photo 2

I actually glued the cotton ‘windows’ to the inside of the vest before I started sewing. Carpet adhesive is great for this. But don’t get it on your fingers. Use rubber gloves, it takes ages to get off.